There is nothing better than curling up in front of an open fire or wood burner with a glass of mulled wine and some yummy home made gingerbread men. The scrumptious smell of gingerbread reminds us that Christmas is just around the corner, and freshly baked seasonal treats will put everyone in a mood to celebrate simple pleasures, such as baking cakes and biscuits. At EH HQ we love baking and making simple, delicious food from scratch. It doesn’t have to be complicated. Here is an easy to follow 5-step recipe from Rado Georgiev, Head Pastry Chef at Lancaster London – one of our favourite, super sustainable hotels in London.
1. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
2. Lightly beat the egg and maple syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in plastic free Clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
4. Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
5. Bake for 16-19 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.
Compiled by graduate intern Harlen Leonard.