March 9, 2012 in Archive

20501

Forget vampires! – 2012 is the year of the thoughtful, intelligent geek. The crown princeling amongst wizardly, out of this world, thespian geeks, has to be Colin Morgan, the coruscating young actor from Armagh, Northern Ireland, best known for his starring role in Merlin. For it is Morgan who has read his Mallory and Tennyson, and reinvented Merlin for a 21st Century audience not as a knarled, white-haired prophet of ancient myths and legend, but rather as charming, gauche, accident prone underdog who must wait until the time is right to reveal his magical powers.

Colin Morgan - Merlin

Up close and personal, Colin comes across as thoughtful, intelligent and engaging.  Firstly, I hope I am not going to disappoint his legion of fans when I tell you that the actor who plays the gauche young wizard doesn’t look very like the dark-eyed alter ego he has so imaginatively constructed in the BBC’s hit series Merlin.

Firstly, Colin is really tall. Then comes the pleasant discovery that he is in fact far better looking than Merlin! Somehow, he just looks more chaotically boyish and masculine; like a young Gregory Peck in the film How the West Was Won. He is wearing a casual, blue and white check shirt, which just reinforces this idea, and hints at his love of being outside in nature, admiring sloths and bears. He would make a terrific cowboy. Then there are the eyes, which are very blue, lively, intelligent and inquisitive – but the hair is a revelation! Forget the glassy, smooth mop of the young wizard – Colin’s hair is thick, curly and plain unruly. In fact, he looks like he has just got out of bed! Which he probably has, as he has been up for hours, graciously conducting interviews on Skype for the world’s press, and answering such riveting questions as ‘what is his favourite pizza topping’, and ‘how would he like to spend a first date’.

Morgan is an appealing mix of raw, natural talent, and a rare maturity and thoughtfulness, perhaps fuelled by the self-knowledge that he is only too aware of the extraordinary journey it has taken him to arrive here at all.

“When I first started playing Merlin, I relied on instinct and my own experiences,” he says. “ I thought about what it must be like not to be able to show who you are and what your greatest gift is in a world that persecutes magic. I guess you can relate that to a lot of things. For me it’s about wanting to be an actor, growing up in Northern Ireland; and not being able to express that desire, because the opportunities just aren’t there.”

Colin was born in Armagh in 1986. His father is a painter decorator, and his mother works as a nurse; so far, so normal.  Then he calmly proceeds to describe the not uncommon scenario of being woken up in the middle of the night, and having to evacuate the family home immediately, because there was pipe bomb in the house next door. The next day he would go into school with a note for his teacher to explain why he hadn’t done his homework.  This he says was just an everyday taste of a childhood growing up in the long shadow of deep, ingrained hatred and sectarian violence.  The social consequences of Northern Ireland’s problems have been well documented. Big business stayed away, and unemployment was high for generations. But for Colin the consequences ran deeper, and were far more personal. Colin wanted to explore his love of drama, but there were virtually no opportunities for a young person to nurture, let alone study acting in the Province at this time.

Fortunately, Morgan is not the type of character to admit defeat easily.  “I found a way to get involved in drama in any way I could. I joined the local amateur dramatic society, and I still have such fond memories of those times. I was five years old when I first appeared in the chorus in a production of Cinderella, and then Peter Pan. People often ask me what inspired me to become an actor, and the truth is I can’t answer that. For me, it was always more like a natural instinct. Every part, every performance I have ever taken has just been about feeding that desire to act.”

Colin Morgan - Merlin

The crisis came when he reached sixteen and didn’t want stop. “The next stage was choose subjects to study at the technical college. I had a fall back position, which was to study English, photography and law. But I would have hated being a lawyer! There was no question; I wanted do drama. But in Northern Ireland, there are very few colleges that offer drama as a subject, and my local tech didn’t offer a course. The closest place was Belfast, which was an hour and twenty minutes away.  No one could understand why I was prepared to travel back and forth on the bus every day for two years when my local college was five minutes away; but that is what I did.”

There was another reason why this was a dangerous proposition. Morgan is Catholic, and the college he wanted to attend was in a troubled, predominantly protestant area of East Belfast. In the summer before he enrolled at the college, masked paramilitaries stormed the building, looking for Catholic students by asking them to pronounce the letter H. (the reason for this being that Catholics and Protestants generally pronounce the letter differently). The students were told that any Catholics would be shot.

In the end no one was hurt, and Colin plays down this episode, and says that he didn’t experience any trouble when he was at the college, as the terrible violence which had blighted Northern Ireland for generations, was finally coming to an end with The Good Friday Agreement which came into force in 1999 and kick-started the peace process.

Three years later he graduated from The Belfast Institute of Further Education and won a coveted place at The Royal Scottish Conservatoire in Glasgow. Within a year of graduating in 2007, he was talent spotted for the lead role in Merlin.

What I remember most about my encounter with Colin Morgan is how articulate and thoughtful he is. Does his star burn brighter because it has been fashioned out of adversity?  Absolutely. All I do know is that he is smart enough to know that hard work and sheer determination has catapulted him into a position of extraordinary privilege and opportunity. And if he continues to shine, all the glittering prizes. So far he’s made some very interesting choices outside Merlin, and he has deftly avoided being typecast. He won good notices for Esteban in Pedro Almodovar’s All About My Mother and took on the very challenging role of the troubled teenager in D.B.C. Pierre’s wicked black comedy in Vernon God Little at the Young Vic.

So what else can I tell you about Colin? Well girls, he can cook!  Colin has a problem with lactose, so he sticks to a vegetarian diet, and says that the only way to make food taste really good, when there are so many things you can’t eat is to cook at home.

“I enjoy cooking. I think if you are vegetarian, and you can’t have dairy in your diet, like me; you have to be able to cook! You have to learn, big time! And now I am based in London, which I love, I am looking forward to exploring some local farmers markets. I’m very interested in where food comes from. I think supporting farmers, and buying real, good food from farmers markets is really important. I think a lot of the health problems people face now are as a result of what they are eating. I don’t just mean junk food. I’m talking about eating food where you don’t know where it has come from. I am careful about what I eat, and I also like really good food.”

Colin Morgan - Merlin

Colin’s other great passion is the natural world. Unlike most actors who are rather inward looking, Colin comes across as an individual who is hungry for experiences and knowledge of the world beyond his own horizons. He has been catching up with Frozen Planet on DVD, as he was away filming, when it was first shown, and he describes it as   ‘stunning to watch’, and cites David Attenborough as ‘a hero of mine’.

“ It presents the facts and covers everything, without prejudice,” he suggests.  “I think it is very important to conserve and protect the natural world.  I’ve just come back from Costa Rica and they are really big on eco tourism. They have lots of reserves, and they are really in to protecting wildlife. I visited a reserve called Cabo Blanco. You walk into the reserve and there are capucine monkeys swinging from the trees and sloths. I am big into nature, and seeing animals in their natural habitats; I love it.”

Given his passion and affinity with nature, I can’t help thinking he would make an extraordinary Heathcliff; and perhaps he really should play a trendy vampire, with those saturnine good looks. “Grrr, I would love to play a vampire,” he says playfully showing a great sense of fun.

So what else moves Colin? Well, being a bit of a new age man, (Merlin would approve) he’s into yoga, and declares – “Yoga is phenomenal! It’s brilliant. I like the breathing, and the focus that it brings. But I can be quite energetic if I am doing a play. You will often find me running along the corridors, to let off steam, and being quite bouncy before going on stage.”

He also tells me that he and Bradley James, his co-star in Merlin loved working with Miranda Raison, the former Spooks star, who recently played the heroine Isolde, who meets a very bloody end in Series Four. Betraying that naughty, boyish side again, he says, “We were teasing her about her Lara Croft curves, ha, ha. Miranda is great. She’s a good sport, and has a wicked sense of humour.”

What comes across quickly, is that Morgan is having a ball too.  There is no doubt that he is one of the most exciting talents to emerge from Ireland since a young Richard Harris also made his name in much lauded version of Camelot, alongside a rather luminous, feisty Vanessa Redgrave. His face lights up as he delights in telling me about the award-winning film he recently made with Irish director Darragh Byrne. In Parked he plays Cathal, a dope-smoking twenty one-year-old who magically transforms the life of a lonely man with nowhere to live but his car.   “I really identified with the character. I liked the script, I liked working with Darragh, and I loved everything about the story – it couldn’t been more different from Merlin – it’s good not to be typecast – I’ve been very lucky.”

There is no doubt that we are going to continue to fall in love with this vibrant actor too as he lights up the screen and stage and enthralls us with his god-given talent for rapturous, spellbinding storytelling.

I for one can’t wait for the next magical instalment.

Series 4 of Merlin is out now on DVD.  Merlin will return for a 5th Series later this year.

Alison Jane Reid – Copyright February 2012 All Rights Reserved.

Download PDF of this Colin Morgan Interview for The Lady Magazine Published March 2012

Colin Morgan 007 Poster Offer

20501

about the author

Alison Jane Reid

Alison Jane Reid - Journalist, Editor & Emerald Princess of Slow, Sustainable Luxury Living - 18 year track record interviewing real icons for: The Times, The Lady, You, The Mirror and Country Life. Now leading her alluring fairtrade, emerald revolution - Don’t Miss Out - Have you joined The Ethical Hedonist set?

37 responses to “Merlin’s Colin Morgan – The Year of The Thoughtful, Intelligent Geek By Alison Jane Reid”

1. CF says:

Colin Morgan’s very inspiring! I love his work as Merlin, I also love him as Cathal in Parked and as Callum is Island. Colin is an amazing,He also is a wonderful human being. Thank you for this interview.

2. WW says:

Colin Morgan is a very interesting person. I love every details about Colin Morgan’s personal life. I can see Colin is very healthy and very intelligent about every aspect of his daily life. I love him very much. I can’t wait to see more of Colin in the screens and in the mags!

3. Natalia_LeFay says:

omg.! extremely and undiscribely exciteeeeeddddd. ! ^^ ♥

4. Jess :) says:

I could just hear this interview calling me, so I did what any other person with a good-taste in writing would do: Read your amazing piece on Colin Morgan.

I may only be just another 14-year-old Australian fan-girl, but I’m sure you’d love to hear my thoughts on this article. Especially since I can easily see your style of writing would leave anyone breathless and wanting more. Teenagers or adults, you’re one of the few sorts of people that can write for both.

Your writing contains countless sentences that are simply bursting with magic. What I particularly like is the way you say it how it is and don’t allow the factor of image to plague your thoughts. So many writers – non-fiction and novelists alike – tend to neglect certain parts of their writing because of the constant questioning they do on whether their friends and family will like it. You didn’t toe-that-line at all, but instead leapt past it and made this piece of writing fantastic!

“Firstly, Colin is really tall. Then comes the pleasant discovery that he is in fact far better looking than Merlin! … He is wearing a casual, blue and white check shirt, which just reinforces this idea, and hints at his love of being outside in nature, admiring sloths and bears.” You present your own opinion in a strong yet carefully deliberated way. I love it!

I’m 100% sure any person who reads this will be smiling for the rest of their day – perhaps even longer. This isn’t the type of interview that one simply reads and then forgets. I know this article will always remain somewhere within my mind, just waiting for me to mull over it again and again. Chances are, I’m going to read the entire piece again tomorrow and enjoy it as much as I did today – if not more! Best wishes for the future – your writing is going to take you great places! 🙂

5. Jess says:

I could hear this interview calling me, so I did what any other person with a good-taste in writing would do: Read your amazing piece on Colin Morgan.

6. Josefina says:

He is a beautiful and unique guy that has been through alot and who I personally feel should be an ambassador for protecting our wildlife around the world. We need more people like you Colin! Xox josefina.

7. VH says:

Colin Morgan is an stunning actor and a wonderful guy! Some met him several times and he was a model of perfection, of kindness and of shyness. He was so great with them! Plus I love his portrayal of Merlin: his performanes are always full of beauty, realism and emotions! I love this interview because it brings us more details about Colin’s personal life and thoughts and I always love to read and hear about this amazing amazing man! Thank you!

8. VH says:

Colin Morgan is a model of respect and of perfection. Miss Alison Jane Reid, if you have the opportunity to do another interview with Colin Morgan, please, do it! It would be paradise and great pleasure to read more about Colin Morgan from you. Thank you.

9. vida says:

i love colin morgan a lot.i’m not a normal 14 year old iranian fan girl.he is not just my favourite actor.He is my life,my heart.i really love him and always think about him in my dreams.if i could have him i never wanted anymore in my life.i have best wishes for him and always pray for him.i cannot describe my feeling to colin via writing.i luv him.if one of u readers see colim say him my regards.bye

10. VOLTAIRE says:

COLIN MORGAN IS PURE TALENT. HIS ACTING IS STUNNING AND HIS PERFORMANCES ARE BRILLIANT. HIS CHARISMA, HIS DEDICATION TO HIS CRAFT, HIS DETERMINATION, HIS HARD WORK, HIS BEAUTIFUL PERFORMANCES, HIS GORGEOUS EXPRESSIVE EYES AND FACE MAKE HIM MY FAVORITE ACTOR AND PERSONALITY. HE ALWAYS SEEMS SO SHY AND PRIVATE, NEVER REALLY TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF, BUT PREFERING TO TALK ABOUT OTHERS AND ABOUT HIS WORK. SO I’M GRATEFUL FOR THIS INSIGHTFUL INTERVIEW/ARTICLE THAT GIVES US SO MUCH DETAILS ABOUT COLIN’S PERSONAL INTERESTS. HE REALLY IS A WONDERFUL PERSON, NOT ONLY PUBLICLY, BUT ALSO PRIVATLY. I LOVE HIS KINDNESS, HIS SHYNESS AND HIS WITTY ANSWERS THAT ALWAYS MAKE ME SMILE. PLUS HE WENT THROUGH SOME DIFFICULT MOMENTS DURING HIS CHILDHOOD AND ADOLESCENCE, BUT HE WENT THROUGH THEM ELEGANTLY AND WITH INDENIABLE INTELLIGENCE. HE IS NOT ONLY A CLEVER AND ADORABLE PERSON, BUT ALSO AN AMAZING ACTOR. DEAR COLIN MORGAN, THANK YOU FOR EXISTING AND FOR ALWAYS BEING SO FULL OF KINDNESS AND HUMILITY, AND THANK YOU FOR THIS WONDERFUL ARTICLE, MISS ALISON JANE REID.

11. Head says:

Colin Morgan is the most amazing actor of his generation and the loveliest person ever! Thank you for this thoughful article! I love Colin Morgan even more.

12. Huge Colin Morgan Fan says:

COLIN MORGAN is such a beautiful man and a wonderful inspiration! I love his work in “Merlin”, in “Parked”, in “Island” and everthing he did/does on stage is powerful too. He really is an amazing, great, very skilled actor. Plus he is a very healthy and nature-concerned person. I love what he does and who he is. I love what he choose to be. COLIN MORGAN is fabulous. Thank you for this inspirational interview.

13. ColinMorgan Fan says:

I am totally in love with Colin Morgan. This interview just confirmed it to me.

14. Maja says:

You just made my life a lil bit nicer!! ^^ I lovee Colin
    and this interview is amazing! 😀
    Thank you sooo much! <3

15. Colin Inspirational says:

Colin Morgan is a real inspiration. He’s a gorgeous model for a lot of poeple because not only is he a healthy and intelligent person, but he’s also an amazing and very skilled actor and artist. My love and admiration for him is unlimited.

This article is very welcomed because I needed to know more about Mr Morgan’s tastes and choices to lead his every day life. So I’m very thankful. However, I read in one of Colin’s precedent interviews that his mother is a nurse. But that’s just a detail. Thank you.

16. Skye says:

Colin is absolutely amazing! He really is tall, I was surprised when I first met him. xD

17. JaneJill says:

love, love, love Colin Morgan… wonderful interview — what a rich style!

18. Nancy says:

Fantastic interview. It’s nice to hear more about Colin, not just the work he does in Merlin. I would love to hear more about the man himself if he’s willing to share! btw, what IS his favorite pizza topping and ideal first date?? ….just wondering….:)

19. Sandilo says:

Thank you so much for doing this piece. It is a very thought provoking and inspirational interview. What a struggle this young man has had to face to get to where he is! It says a lot about the kind of person he is today. I wonder if any of the gilded stars of Hollywood would fare as well as this extraordinary artist has had to.
    Yet, with all the turmoil Colin Morgan has had to cope with, he had retained his charm, respect for others, and his humor. His smile lights up his face and warms the heart of the recipient. His eyes and face are so very expressive, it shows in his work and makes his character flesh and blood, not just a presence on the screen. You believe in him, and the emotion conveyed!
    This piece has given me a more well-rounded impression of the man that Colin really is, and why his is so good at what he does. He certainly is one of the very few for whom their soul shows through to their art form. I plan to watch this artist throughout his calling and know I will be a better person by learning and listening to the message he conveys to me through that medium.

20. Janika says:

I am so looking forward to your next interview with Colin! This interview is my all-time favorite, thank you for doing it.

21. uwifahije visesiya says:

colin morgan is a talent person. he dreams big. i just love to watch him on my computer when i am from to school.

22. Carlos says:

First of all, I would like to thank Alison Jaine for these fantastic interview. I am a big fan of Colin Morgan but I never wanted to be a babbler looking up for all kind of information of him in the internet but, these interview its very different of what I normallly see.

Secondly, it maked me be, in a way, further more near to him. I really liked the interwiew. And we most not forget that there are questions that they have never been made before!! You can feel that Alison really had loat of affection doing these as well Colin Morgan in answering the questions.

Thirdly and last, it is not normal that I comment in the internet also is true these is not the first time but, today I thought I really had to thank Alison these time for the interview and Colin Morgan for being what he is. Is not only in Merlin that I like his acting but in every act he does!! I really admire him! I like a lot that he does not have facebook or any social networks, that is very remarkable!! Another thing that I liked a lot and I did not know is that he is catholic. That maked me very very happy and it make me feel being more close to him than ever!!

I´ve travelled to Pierrefonds or to London or Cardiff or the Warwick castle to see him but I never have. I am really looking forward to see him soon!! Now that I am of age my next trip is going to be to look for him!! It was a joke! 😉 Although I really like him I will never go behind him, he does have a private life and we have to respect him.
    I never thaught I would have done so a long writting!! hahahaha

Thank you to all of you and please feel free to vote Colin Morgan for best actor and Merlin for best drama show!!! I know they deserve it!! Thank you! Here is the link:

Again, THANK YOU!!
    😀

P.S. I did not want to make such a long writting but he is just the best and he deserves it!

23. Carlos rdv says:

I never thaught I would have done so a long writting!! hahahaha

Again, THANK YOU!!
    😀

P.S. I did not want to do such a long writting but he is just the best and he deserves it!

24. ColinMorgan HugeFan says:

I can’t wait for a new Colin Morgan interview! He is such a special, unique, exceptional man and actor!

25. Lucy says:

Colin Morgan has been throw anything just to for fill his dream as a T.V star. That was has inspired me to work hard and know that if you want to become an Actress you have to work really hard for it because Colin Morgan it seemed tough just getting into a college with drama as a subject must have been really hard for him but he never gave up on for filling his dream. If you did what Colin Morgan did never giving up on his dream you can become a t.v star to. Thank you Colin Morgan for your inspiring words i hope to be a T.V star one day like you. Your amazing Colin Morgan and i believe in you what you went throw that to become a T.V star and that’s what makes me stronger Thank you Colin Morgan x

26. Nikki Grace says:

I Love colin Morgan.

27. Elis Doré says:

I LOVE COLIN MORGAN SO MUCH! HE IS A PURE TALENT AND A REAL ARTIST!

28. Yule Davies says:

Colin is so damn cute/ fabulous/ amazing/ perfect/ lovely/ charming/ kind/ beautiful/ intelligent/ did I say fabulous I mean DOUBLE FECKING FABULOUS …. Yeh you could say I love him

29. irène fong-ponne says:

MERLIN

I really loved this movie, it is not only fabulous animals, what I love about this movie is
    as comedy, some moral lesson remember when, intrigues, suspense, villains tuck
    greed, which reflect the people of our world, then magic, action and finally the true manifestation of the
    wisdom of a person (Merlin). This kind of film is a dream children, and grown-ups, wound
    to many people. The actor is very well chosen to play the role of “Merlin,” and even for
    others, they all have talents. What I like and that impressed me a lot in this film is
    when you really see what it is a wise man. There are not only the suspense, intrigues,
    well imagined animals, action, magic and comedy. There has also been a true wise man and ready to
    devote himself to his fate. It is said that the wise man is the one who gets carried away by any of the eight winds:
    prosperity, decline, disgrace, honor, praise, criticism, pain and pleasure. Well! Regarding
    Merlin himself every time when it is in adversity, every time he would face its challenges, its
    difficulties between him fulfill his destiny. He called this wisdom in him, he never leaves
    carried by any of the eight winds, no matter how difficult the situation and where it is. This also
    success of this film. He tries to show the true wisdom and greatness of a man (Merlin). I believe and I
    say that this great series should have been continued, of the day on which this film was released, it was a success
    total and loved many people. If this series had a sequel, I’m sure it would be a wonder and
    thousands of people or more will be happy and will not stop talking about it. This film was very well done, it
    is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. This film (Merlin) is part of No. 1

30. irène fong-ponne says:

MERLIN

J’ai beaucoup adoré ce film, il ne s’agit pas seulement des animaux fabuleux, ce que j’aime dans ce film c’est aussi la comédie, certain leçon de moral quand retiens, les intrigues, les suspens, les méchants remplient d’avidité, qui reflètent les gens de notre monde, puis la magie, l’action et enfin la véritable manifestation de la sagesse d’une personne (Merlin). Ce genre de film fait rêver les enfants, de même aux grandes personnes, plaie à beaucoup de gens. L’acteur est même très bien choisi pour jouer le rôle de « Merlin », et de même pour les autres acteurs, ils ont tous des talents. Ce que j’aime et qui m’a beaucoup impressionnés dans ce film, c’est lorsqu’on voit vraiment qu’est-ce que c’est qu’un homme sage. Il n’y a pas que les suspenses, les intrigues, les animaux bien imaginé, l’action, la magie et la comédie. Il y a aussi le vrai vu d’un homme sage et prêt à se dévouer à son destin. On dit que le sage est celui qui ne se laisse emporter par aucun de ces huit vents : prospérité, déclin, disgrâce ; honneurs, compliments, critiques, souffrance et plaisir. Eh bien ! S’agissant de Merlin, lui à chaque fois quand il est dans l’adversité, à chaque fois qu’il devrait affronter ses obstacles, ses difficultés qui lui opposent à accomplir son destin. Il a ce qu’on appelle cette sagesse en lui, il ne se laisse jamais emporté par aucun de ces huit vents, peu importe les difficultés et dans la situation où il est. Voilà aussi la réussite de ce film. Il essai de montrer la véritable sagesse et grandeur d’un homme (Merlin). Moi je crois et je dis que cette série formidable aurais dû être continuer ; de plus le jour où ce film est sortie, il a eut un succès total et à adoré de nombreux personnes. Si cette série avait une suite, je suis sûr que ce serait une merveille et que des milliers de gens ou encore plus seront ravie et n’arrêteront pas d’en parler. Ce film était très bien fait, il fait partie des meilleurs films que je n’ai jamais vu. Ce film (Merlin) fait partie des N°1

31. Lasitha Rulz says:

His acting is very very realistic

32. MadTiger says:

I’m certainly a fan of Colin. And I wonder where he is now? What has happened to his acting? I hope no news does not mean sad news. I was hoping to see him in more new films, but since Merlin was drawn to its conclusion it seems that Colin has disappeared, too from the screen. Colin, please come back!
    MadTiger
    13 Oct 2014

33. magnificent post, very informative. I ponder why the opposite
    experts of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing.
    I am confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

34. […] Jane Reid, Ethical-hedonist.com  for  […]

35. Sue says:

I love Colin Morgan. He is an awesome actor. I love the Merlin and I watched all over and over again in Netflix.

36. Salim says:

I saw this drama Merlin recently it really knock me out what a actor he is the best I don’t have words to describe myself after a very long time come across with this kind of acting brilliant I hope to see him somewhere somehow big fan of this wonderful kind of person

37. NAME says:

Colin is my Perfect Idea of a Man and Human…How I would Love to be in Katies’s shoes! He has such a BEAUTIFUL SOUL…sigh!