The baobab tree or the tree of life, also known as the upside-down tree, grows all over Africa. It can live for a thousand years and can reach twenty-five metres in circumference. Its fruit looks like a velvety green coconut. Inside the fruit are seeds, which are coated with a powder, the baobab powder that has a tangy taste.
Traditionally, it has been used in Africa as a boost to health, especially among pregnant women, children and the elderly. The baobab fruit is said to help fight fevers and settle the stomach. In some parts of Africa, it was used to ward off colds and sailors ate it to prevent scurvy in the 14th century.
The Tree of Life provides invaluable resources for local people
Organic Burst Baobab comes from Southern Africa where ethical baobab trade is changing the lives of millions of people and helping to protect the environment and biodiversity.
What’s so special about it?
- It contains more vitamin C than an orange, more iron than red meat, more potassium than a banana and more calcium than a glass of milk: in a word, it’s very nutritious.
- The good news for your body is that this translates into more energy, a more efficient immune system and a happier nervous system.
- Amazingly, it also naturally contains prebiotics and enzymes, making your digestive system’s job easier, and is therefore soothing if you have digestive issues.
- This makes it perfect for both those people who are stressed, have a busy life, don’t necessarily eat that well and suffer from lack of energy and also those who keep getting ill, have a cold/cough which won’t go away, are recovering from an illness or are convalescing.
- It is also rich in antioxidants making it a really good food to add to diets for healthy skin and anti-ageing.
What should you be looking for?
- To be potent, baobab should be raw, unprocessed, organic and 100% pure.
- It should be vegan and gluten-free.
- It should be sourced ethically. Organic Burst works with a charity which helps to empower the local communities who grow baobab to stand on their own two feet today and gives them a better future. Check out PhytoTrade Africa, a non-profit trade association, which ensures the harvesters are paid a fair price and part of the sales of baobabs are used to fund the community.
- It should be sustainable: the Organic Burst producers use forestry techniques based on European best practice, with measures in place to ensure long-term sustainable production.
Try these great smoothie recipes, using Organic Burst Baobab, at home:
Deliciously refreshing, this Baobab smoothie is full of goodness
- 1 teaspoon Organic Burst Baobab
- 1 handful raspberries
- 1 handful blackberries
- 200g bio-yoghurt (or soy yoghurt if vegan)
- 1/3 fresh juiced pineapple, or 150ml fruit juice (optional)
Mix in the blender until smooth. You can add soy milk or water if too thick. Buy British blackberries and raspberries – they are in season in September. This smoothie is great for the immune system, stomach flora, and skin. With so many antioxidants it protects the healthy cells from free radical damage. It is very high in Vitamin C, potassium, essential fatty acids, amino acids, calcium and iron.
Another one we love is:
- 1 peeled banana
- handful frozen mango pieces
- 1tbsp Organic Burst Baobab
- 100ml almond milk
- 100ml apple juice
A pot of Organic Burst Baobab
Organic Burst Baobab is available at £6.80 for 70g from health stores nationwide, Whole Foods Market stores and online.
Where to next?
– Dr. Mariano Spiezia: The skincare doctor who will make you beautiful!
– Revolutionise your health with these life-enhancing teas
– Want fantastic looking hair? Follow this simple guide to shiny greatness